Printers play an important role but sometimes users encounter issues with their printers. Scan to computer not working is the most common error, that is very annoying. This error occurs due to the poor internet connection. Sometimes, outdated or corrupted printer drivers can also cause the Scan to computer currently unavailable error. Sometimes, users receive a notification saying “scan to computer no longer activated.” You can fix this error either by adjusting the printer settings or disabling the notifications.
Solutions to fix scan to computer no longer activated error
The solutions to resolve the scan to computer no longer activated error are straightforward. Following are some easy troubleshooting tricks to resolve the scan to computer is not working problem.
Fix 1: Turn off the scan to computer feature
If the “Scan to computer currently unavailable” error pop-up on your device, then try to disable the scan to computer feature. Following are the steps to disable scan to computer function:
- Tap on the printer icon and the HP printer assistant will display on your screen.
- After that, choose the “print, scan, and fax” option and tap on the “manage scan to computer” button under the scan section.
- Now, hit the disable button and uncheck the “automatically start scan to computer when I log on to Window” checkbox.
- Finally, tap on the close button and see if the issue is fixed.
Fix 2: Disable scan to PC activation app
Sometimes, the scan to PC activation app can also cause an HP scan to computer disabled issue. To resolve this issue, try to disable scan to PC activation app. To do so:
Press Windows+R keys simultaneously to open the dialogue box.
- Type “taskmgr” and hit the enter key.
- Go to the task manager and tap on the start-up tab. Now, choose the “ScanToPCActivationApp” option and click on the disable button.
- After disabling the services, restart your device to check if the problem is resolved or not.
- Still, if you are facing the issue, then move to the “services” tab and disable the services.
Fix 3: Power cycle the entire system
Try to power cycle the entire system to fix the scan to computer no longer activated error. Following are the steps to reboot the computer and printer:
- First of all, disconnect your printer and turn it off. Now turn off the computer.
- Disconnect the power cord from both devices and wait for around 10 minutes.
- Now, reconnect your printer and computer to the power source and turn them on.
- After that, connect your printer to the computer and see if the error is fixed or not.
Fix 4: Update the printer drivers
Outdated or corrupted printer drivers can also interrupt the working of the printer. Therefore, install the updated version of printer drivers to get rid of the “scan to computer is no longer activated” issue. Following are the steps to update printer drivers:
- Press Windows+R keys to open the run box and type “devmgmt.msc” in the run box.
- Hit the enter key and move to the device manager tab.
- Right-tap on the “print queue” option and choose the “update driver” option from the drop-down menu.
- Choose the “Browse my computer for driver software” option and proceed further.
- Click on the browse button to upload the downloaded files and complete the installation process.
- After updating the printer drivers, restart your computer system to apply the changes.
Scan to computer is no longer activated on Windows 10
If you encounter a scan to computer is no longer activated on Windows 10 error, then follow the below-mentioned troubleshooting steps to fix the error.
Fix 1: Check your printer’s connection
Make sure that your printer is properly connected to the internet. If you are using an ethernet cable to connect your printer, then ensure that the cable is properly inserted into the USB port. If you are using a wireless connection, then ensure that your printer is connected to your own network.
Fix 2: Reinstall the printer drivers
If the internet connection is working properly, then check the printer drivers. Faulty printer drivers can also cause the Scan to computer is no longer activated on Windows 10 error. In that case, try to reinstall the printer drivers. To do so:
- First, right-click on the start menu and choose the “device manager” option.
- On the next screen, right-click on the “print queue” option and select the “uninstall device” option.
- Then, click on the “uninstall” button and proceed with the on-screen instructions.
- Finally, restart your device and the system will reinstall the printer drivers automatically. Otherwise, move to the manufacturer’s official website and download the latest printer drivers.
Scan to computer not working on Mac
If the scan to computer feature is not working on your Mac device, then go through the below-mentioned solutions to resolve this error.
Fix 1: Verify the driver scan settings on the Mac device
You need to restart your Mac computer to check the driver scan settings. Check out the following steps to verify the driver scan settings:
- To begin with, power off your printer and ensure that the printer is directly connected to the wall socket.
- Now, close all the running programs on your computer and turn it off.
- Then, restart your computer and printer. Navigate to the finder tab on your Mac computer and move to the menu bar.
- After that, tap on the application button and then double-tap on the HP folder.
- In the next step, double-tap on the “HP Utility” section.
- Go to the “scan to computer” section and choose the “enable scan to computer” checkbox.
- Scan the document to check if the issue is fixed or not.
Fix 2: Remove and reinstall your printer
To fix the scan to computer not working Mac issue, re-add your printer. Follow the below-mentioned steps to re-add the printer:
- Find the print option and tap on the “print and fax” button.
- After that, choose the “print and scan” or “printer or scanner” option.
- Now, verify if your printer name is there or not. If you can’t find your printer in the list then remove and re-add your printer.
- Then, click on the “use or print using box” button and choose your printer model number.
- Next, tap on the add button and close the system preference window.
Fix 3: Update printer drivers
Faulty printer drivers can cause the scan to computer not working issue. Therefore, remove the faulty drivers and then install the updated printer driver version. After completing the installation process, check if the scan to computer not working issue is resolved or not.